Englewood Makes History

Places

Title

Places

Collection Items

  • Local 581, National Federation of Postal Clerks .jpg
  • Englewood Theater.png

    The Englewood Movie Theater was created around 1914 and was open until the 1960s. It became a meeting ground for many political and community meetings.
  • Brennon's Barber Shop.png

    Brennon's Barber Shop was run by William E. Brennon. He opened in 1962. The shop became a community hub for African American men from towns in the nearby vicinity.
  • Ben's Barber Shop.png

    Ben's Barbershop was a barber shop created by Ben Peters in 1957. It became a community center for local men.
  • Misery Mile.jpg

    An area of Englewood centered on Jay street stretching from the railroad tracks on the east to MacKay Park on the west. The housing in this area had deteriorated greatly by the early 1960s and most of this area's residents lived below the povery line. The area had become known as the heat of Englewood's "slums." One white landlord or "slumlord" owned most of the neighborhood's houses, which were referred to as "shacks."
  • Taylor Bliss House.jpg

    The Taylor Bliss house was built in 1876. The architecture of the home is Victorian. Delos Bliss, the vice president at Palisade Trust and Guaranty lived there as did his daughter, Ethel Bliss. The house was purchased by the Community Synagogue of Tenafly and Englewood in 2003 and was used for religious services.

    The Englewood Historical Society worked to preserve the house in 2022. It was moved to the Eleanor Harvey Park.
  • Eleanor Harvey Park.jpg

    The Eleanor Harvey park was created at the home of Eleanor Harvey. The plan began in 2013 to change the property into a park.
  • Grand Avenue Diner The_Record_1950_05_25_17.jpg

    The Grand Avenue Diner was a restaurant located on Grand Avenue in Englewood.
  • The New Englewood Hotel.jpg

    The New Englewood Hotel opened on May 1, 1893. The building was owned by Eliza McGrath Sanderson and was leased by S. C. Stafford. The building burned down in November of the same year.
    Tags
  • Dwight Chapel.jpg

    Dwight Chapel belonged to the First Presbyterian Church. The Church cornerstone was laid on February 22, 1869. It was finished in 1883 on Palisade Avenue and William Street. It was later moved to Palisade and Lafayette Avenues. 

    The first Reverand of the chapel was James Eells. He was succeeded on May 2, 1897, by Reverand Samuel Munce Hamilton. Reverand Bruce S. Wright was the third leader of the church from October to December 1918. Reverand Robert Davis served as minister in 1919. Reverand Carl H. Elmore began that same year and served until 1944. Reverand Sr. Edwin O. Kennedy succeeded him.